Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sunday 8/14/2011

Today marks my first full week of living down in Fl. This week has been an absolute whirlwind.
 I moved into a condo with a PT from the hospital I'm doing my clinical at, and her roommate. I have to say- I am extremely lucky they're so accepting and easy going. I am really starting to feel comfortable living here. at first, it was a strange feeling to be moving into someone else's home, when I have been living in the same house in CT with people moving in and out. The condo is gorgeous-- high ceilings, beautiful colors... a pool in walking distance (still haven't made it there).
The hospital is... HUGE. Let's put it in perspective: I am from RHODE ISLAND.. smallest state. No big deal, whatever. The main hospital there is decent sized, it is a trauma center, it's a great hospital. This hospital in Orlando is... huge. I haven't figured out my way around, but I'm sure I will (eventually). They have Dunkin coffee in the cafeteria (win!) as well as these delicious M&M cookies (which may prove to be a really bad thing).
I am working in the ICU, seeing a massive variety of diagnoses and complications. Things I have never seen before, nor thought I would ever see before. I feel completely overwhelmed by the equipment in the room and the lines, tubes, apparatuses that I never imagined seeing... it's scary. However... I also feel like I can do it. It will be a matter of diligently reviewing information and constantly seeking answers, but I feel like I can do this.
Being away from home is hard, of course. Many times, I feel like I am in CT for school and can travel home for a weekend if I wanted to.. then it will hit me how much further away I am. I am the type of person who needs to be careful not to slip into thinking too negatively about things, or else I get overly upset. If I can remain focused on the positive times and not focus so much on being far from home and missing my family, friends and life in Rhode Island, I will be okay. Key word: distract! I plan on trying to distract myself in many different ways, by hopefully experiencing many different things.
I hope this will be a way for me to vent out my feelings, and "talk" to a larger portion of people I am not always able to speak with on a daily basis. I hope to share anecdotes and little stories about my day, vent frustrations with learning, and maybe share a laugh or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment